Monday, May 30, 2011

In my opinion...

This http://www.thestar.com/topic/genderless+baby  is a story I have been following closely on the Toronto Star website. I find the entire thing fascinating. I really support the idea of what the parents are trying to do and feel that a lot of the backlash is from people who are reading too much into things. The idea that these people are allowing their children to express who they are no matter what is amazing and I think a lot of parents could learn a thing or two.

Having a new baby niece I know how easy it is to get caught up in gender roles and at three weeks old we have probably already been conditioning Miss Charlotte to be a pink dress wearing, princess wannabee lady. It is really impossible not too... well possible but a lot of work. The parents in the article have really gone above and beyond to make sure that their children have not been influenced by blue or pink, dolls or trucks etc. Big ups to them.

All of this being said, I see and know how hard it is for society to grasp new concepts and think outside the box. I wonder how these children will be affected by backlash of not being the norm, not to fault the parents at all but rather a society that is so set in their ways that it is unimaginable for a boy to wear braids and a dress.

I would like to see these children as they grow, to see how their individuality is able to hold up once they get into the real world and have to deal with close minded individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive